Our mission is built on twin philosophies: engagement in the creative process is
a powerful force for social change, and creative entrepreneurship is a productive and life-changing opportunity for young people and their communities.
At Artists For Humanity (AFH), youth apprentices collaborate on innovative projects commissioned by clients – like painting a triptych inspired by peptides, proteins and DNA for Ipsen Bioscience; building the prototype for a large-scale sculpture that encourages recycling for Bank of America; and designing graphic posters for a peer-to-peer healthy and sustainable
food campaign for the Real Food Challenge. AFH teens sit at conference tables with the CEOs of companies where their work is appreciated; their opinions are valued; they are treated as peers; and they are
looked to as experts. Learn about our studios and
Throughout our history, AFH has taken a series of major deliberate steps to more effectively achieve our mission with an eye toward longer-term sustainability. Chief among these was constructing our facility in 2004; ours became the first building in Boston to achieve Platinum LEED certification. By 2006, we completed a $6.8 million capital campaign to own this facility outright.
SINCE MOVING INTO THE EPICENTER:
But the EpiCenter long ago reached capacity. Each year, AFH maintains a wait- list of an additional 150 prospective youth employees we cannot hire because of space limitations. We must also outsource components of our design commiss- ions due to lack of studio space for fabrication. AFH plans to expand our facility to bring more work and educational experiences to under-resourced populations and to provide for the long-term sustainability of our organization.
AFH strategically plans to build an addition to the EpiCenter, allowing us to continue to pioneer sustainability by creating an energy positive (E+) EpiCenter that produces more energy than it uses, while doubling youth engagement /employment for high school teens.
Additionally this expansion will enable us to:
HONEY COMB FACADE
PHOTO VOLTAIC PANELS
- Hire more artists, designers and social entrepreneurs to lead programming.
- Expand studios to increase production, access to technology and earned studio revenues.
- Engage innovation community through maker studios, new gallery, store, cafe and expanded event space.
- Develop technology/vocational training program opportunities for youth.
- Lease space to and partner with educational institutions and offer
- Strengthen our organizational sustainability.
The EpiCenter – named 2012’s Best Wedding Reception Venue by the Improper Bostonian – offers a dynamic and creative space for all types of events. From intimate dinners for 50 to cocktail receptions for 450, common events become extraordinary when produced in our uncommon setting. The EpiCenter has added éclat as the first building in Boston to earn LEED Platinum certification, or the highest level awarded for environmental sustainability.
For information on weddings, birthday parties, Bar and Bat Mitzvah, corporate events, trade shows, product demonstrations and other events please complete this form and we will respond to you as soon as possible.
- AFH has become one of the largest onsite employers of Boston teens, increasing youth employment from 100 to 250 annually.
- Our new studios and expanded workforce facilitated a fivefold increase in our earned income capacity from $313,000 (2004) to $1,586,000 (2014).
- Our contributed income nearly tripled from $790,000 (2004) to
- We developed a successful events program that now generates $600,000+ annually in revenue.
- Our renewable technologies have saved us over $650,000 in avoided
New England’s first energy positive facility
A community accessible Maker Studio for the Innovation District
Annual job creation for an additional 250 teens and 60 opportunity youth
Join us on our journey. Follow the dialogue instigated by our young women and play a role in their future by sharing our bi-weekly online publication.
Tour our six creative studios, meet our talented teens, and end with wine and cheese in our Painting Studio.
READ OUR NEWSLETTER
Stay up to date with what has been happening at AFH with our bi-annual newsletter.