Recruiting Boston freshmen, sophomores, and juniors for an AMAZING opportunity to work afterschool in one of our five creative studios!
Painting, 3D Design, Graphics, Video & Motion, and Photography
Artists For Humanity’s (AFH) Youth Arts Enterprise employs Boston teens to work with a variety of art media. Working in collaboration with artist/designer mentors, teen apprentices learn new skills, make art using a variety of media and provide creative design services for business clients of AFH.
No artistic experience is necessary, just passion for being creative and learning on the job - all while earning experience and money!
Participants start at minimum wage and work for up to 9 hours per week during the school year, and up to 25 hours per week during the summer.
In order to join the
Youth Arts Enterprise Program,
you must be:
1. A high school attendee or at least 14 years of age. All teens must be enrolled in and regularly attending a Boston area school (this includes attending a night, day, or G.E.D. program);
2. Able to attend during the program’s regular hours (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. during the school year; Monday – Friday from 12:00 noon – 5:30 p.m. during the summer); and
3. Able to complete an unpaid apprenticeship period of 36 hours, which doubles as community service hours.
AFH hosts local business leaders for special presentations and Q&A sessions, as part of our ongoing business workshop series featuring topics such as financial literacy, business models, and entrepreneurship. We welcome volunteers to share skills and best practices in an interactive setting.
Thanks to the generous support of so many people, AFH is able to impact the lives of hundreds of teens every year. Each gift makes
a difference in AFH’s ability to empower and employ under-resourced Boston teens while providing a safe space for them to learn, create and grow. Give a gift to Artists For Humanity
by clicking on the donate button below.
JOIN THE LUMINARIES
The Luminaries bring together like-minded professionals to partake in and promote Artists For Humanity's programming, creative services and events. Members are passionate about art, business and supporting the under-resourced young people of Boston. Become meaningfully involved with the AFH mission by engaging in curated experiences that provide valuable opportunities to grow and activate your personal network.
For just $10 a month, The Luminaries receive membership benefits, including:
Special VIP offers and invitations
Access to exclusive volunteer opportunities
Advance notice of ticket sales
Click logo above to become a member
JOIN THE BOARD OF ADVISORS
The Board of Advisors is currently comprised of 60 engaging leaders from Boston’s business, philanthropic, academic, and cultural communities.
Advisors serve as emissaries to the community at large and provide AFH
with essential input on innovative opportunities and pathways to strengthen
and grow our organization. While each Advisor brings unique and valuable resources to AFH, they all share enthusiasm and commitment to our teens
and the work we do. Being an AFH Advisor is a creative learning experience.
AFH works closely with Advisors to create innovative and personalized ways
to advance our mission. Advisors support the work of AFH in some of the following ways:
- Learning about and understanding AFH and our programs;
- Sharing your passion for AFH with personal and professional networks;
- Attending and bringing guests to AFH gatherings and events;
- Referring clients to AFH for commissions of fine art and design services;
- Making a financial contribution; and
- Connecting AFH with other philanthropic individuals, corporations, and foundations.
Advisors volunteer in various roles throughout the year at AFH, subject to
their schedules and personal interests, and are prominently listed on our letterhead and website. Advisors commit to a $2,500 annual contribution, which represents the wages paid to a teen working here during our school-
Cycle in the Rodman
Ride for KIDS
AFH fields a team of cyclists led by our Artistic/Executive Director Susan Rodgerson for this largest single day athletic fundraiser supporting programs for at-risk youth. We welcome riders to the Team AFH.
The best way to volunteer with Artists For Humanity is to come visit our studios, meet our young people, and talk with us about how you can become involved. Volunteers spread the word about what our teens can do, promote our art work, refer young people who could benefit from working with us, work on special projects and/or provide 1:1 tutoring to teens. Tutoring is one of the key ways to get involved. As an after-work supplemental program, tutoring provides critical support to AFH teen artists to ensure a stronger pathway toward academic success.
UPCOMING 'OPEN HOUSE' DATES
Tuesday, September 20th Tuesday, October 4th Tuesday, October 18th Tuesday, November 1st Tuesday, November 15th Tuesday, December 6th
At 4:30pm sharp!
100 W 2nd St. Boston MA, 02127 (a 5 min. walk from Broadway T stop)
Invite your friends!
STEPS TO EMPLOYMENT
1. Attend an AFH Open House Tour. Our tours take place every 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of each month at 4:30PM, although there can be exceptions.
The first step to employment is to attend one of AFH’s Open House Tours. The tour walks you through our creative studios, where you can see what we do, meet some of our amazing mentors and some of the teens already employed. You will also complete an online job application at that time, which will allow us to compile some basic information about you that is needed for the employment process: for example, your name, physical address, email address, telephone number, school enrollment, interests and experience. We will use this information in the hiring process.
2. Orientation & Interview for the job. AFH will send an invitation to attend an Orientation session where you will learn more detail about the job. The invite is sent only to those teens who have previously attended one of our Open Houses. This invitation is sent by email only. It is therefore very important for interested teens to check their emails for the invite and be on time. Eligible teens will interview for the job immediately following the orientation.
3. Notification of vacancy. As jobs become available, interviewed teens will be selected and offered employment. You will receive an email that will include the date and time of your first day of employment. It is very important to check your emails daily so that you don’t miss the notification and respond accordingly.
4. First day on the job. You’re hired - yeah! On the first day of your job, you will fill out the forms/documents that are needed in order to become an official AFH employee and get set up in our payroll system. Immediately thereafter, you will head to the Painting Studio to be introduced to your mentor and begin your AFH Apprenticeship.
5. AFH Apprenticeship. You will complete a 36-hour apprenticeship in the Painting Studio, after which you will begin your journey as a paid employee at Artists For Humanity.
WHAT WE'RE TALKING ABOUT